Friday, August 10, 2018

MIFF 2018 - Day 8

Manto

A biopic about a writer who spent his life fighting obscenity charges for depicting everyday life, I'm definitely interested in reading his work. The film I'm less impressed with. It's good, but probably would have worked better for me if I knew more about the guy.

Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda

The man is amazing, the film about him not so much. Maybe I was just tired and grumpy, but it didn't engage me outside of some performance scenes.

Spirits of the Air, Gremlins of the Clouds

Alex Proyas' first feature. It's a visually stunning oddity, something that wouldn't be out of place in a double feature with Delicatessen or something like that. Weird and gorgeous.

Outrage: Coda

Better than Outrage, still worse than Brother, Kitano pays the bills with a twisty tale of double and triple crossing yakuza. Unlike his earlier work, there's no real character or empathy here. Just plot mechanics and black humour. Fun enough though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home